Saturday, March 26, 2011

Cultural National Values - Subtle Assumptions that Hinder Communications

So I took this Global type of test for people traveling the globe and trying to get along with other cultures.

Turns out I'm way riskier and an more of an egalitarian than I thought. I also less independent and relationship building than I thought. Sounds like a recipe for a social rabble rouser heading towards disaster if you ask me.

Now what's even more interesting is that Americans in general are even more to the extreme "Left" on this cultural awareness values test than I am.

So I guess I'm not as "direct", "task-orientated" and "independent" as the American norm even though I sure always feel that's how people percieve me.

The bad news is that I am heading to China to deal with people on the complete opposite end of this sprectrum. People in Slovakia, Czech Republic and Panama--others that I deal with including family--fall somewhere in the middle interestingly enough.

And in case you are not sure what egalitarian is in this context here is how the test describes it.








No comments:

Post a Comment